EPI conducts projects related to early intervention and pre-college outreach programs. These programs are typically supplementary to compulsory education, providing academic and social support for students who are historically underrepresented at the postsecondary level.
EPI has unique expertise in this area. EPI's President, Dr. Watson Scott Swail, was the director of the National Survey of Outreach Programs conducted in 2000 for the College Board, which surveyed over 1,100 programs across the United States. He also served on the original negotiated rulemaking committee for the federal GEAR UP program, and as Vice President of the Council for Opportunities in Education, the TRIO membership organization. He has written extensively on the topic.
EPI has conducted program evaluations of early intervention programs across the United States, and also has written guidebooks and manuals for early intervention organizations.
Evaluation of the St. Vrain Investment in Innovation (i3) grant, St. Vrain Valley School District (2010-2015)
The Role of College Access Program in College Completion,TG Public Benefit Grant (2010-2011)
- Elementary and Secondary School Counseling Program (2009-11), School Board of Osceola County, Florida
- Evaluation for Safe Schools/Healthy Students Grant (2009-2013), Lawrence County School District, Monticello, MS
- Evaluation of the Hampton (VA) GEAR UP Partnership (2008-2014), Hampton City School
- Missouri Students and the Pathways to College (2007, November)
- The No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 and the Pathways to College Network Framework: Mutually Supportive Visions and Complementary Goals (2005), Pacific Resources for Education and Learning (PREL) and the Pathways to College Network
- Advisory Services Guidebook for Pre-College Outreach Programs (2005), Ohio College Access Network
- The Role of Counseling in Increasing Academic Opportunity in Missouri (2005), Missouri Higher Education Loan Authority
- Formative Evaluation of the Prudential Foundation New Jersey Youth Initiative (2003-04), Prudential Foundation of New Jersey
- National Survey of Outreach Programs (2000), The College Board
- Handbook of Outreach Programs (2000), The College Board